Monday 30 March 2015

DIY: Project organize kids room

Hi everybody,

Okay, this is still a bit of an ongoing project for me. As I still try to figure out what works best for my son’s room. Often ideas that found on the internet might not always work for your child.

Below is some clever tips and ideas on how to organize your child’s room. I must admit, some are still ongoing projects, but most of them have been happily accomplished. As I have a boy, most are examples for a boy’s room. But I’ll do my best to include some ideas for the girls.


    1. Box it and label it

Who ever invented these awesome clear storage boxes was a genius. It is one of the best things to invest in when organizing any area in the house. If you feel overwhelmed as to what size, type etc. box to buy, don’t stress here’s few pointers. First sort out all the toys. Be sure to sort it into categories that your child will understand the best. For my son I put all the action figures together and all the legos together. Next, measure the shelves or space you have allocated for the boxes. Write the sizes and off you go to the shop. Now that toys are sorted, box is purchased, it’s time to make some cool labels to make it easier for your child to put the toys back in their correct boxes.



     2. Make use of wall space

Create space by hanging shelves or little cubicles for books Just remember to hang them within reach of the kiddies. Below are some ideas for wall storage. Make the shelves narrow so that they won’t become cluttered.



    3. Keep floors as clear as possible

By keeping floors as clear as possible, it gives you kids more space to play and it makes it easier to keep it clean. If you have baskets for toys try to hang them on the wall.


     4. Create storage

One of the nicest ways to create storage in kids room without taking up too much space is under the bed. I was lucky enough to have a hands on hubby and he created this awesome baby cot  that we converted into a ¾ bed with storage underneath. For now I use those baskets as storage for small baby clothes that I want to keep, extra teddies etc. Later on my son can use it for more of his toys sport stuff etc.



    5. Create a command centre

This is such a great way to hang up all those beautiful artwork. I also use it to put up Aidens routine schedule and reward chart. At the bottom of the board I added a strip of chalkboard. It’s a fun way to encourage kids to be creative. Also what is really nice about the board is that it will grow with my son. As he goes into primary school and high school, he will be able to put up reminders for homework, his achievements etc. Solution to all those loose papers.



    6. Sort regularly

It is amazing how many broken toys gets stored away, taking up un-necessary space. Same goes for toys your child simply doesn’t  play with anymore. So instead of increasing the storage space, be sure to firstly sort and go through all their toys.

***************************************************************


Thank you for stopping by and reading my post. I hope it gave you an inspiration to organize your kids room.

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment